The Mother/Daughter duo had an opportunity to work 2-gether to create a gluten-free dessert for a beloved friend’s birthday. What’s a birthday without cake? And what’s a cake without Goodytwos Toffee?
*Goodytwos Toffee is already naturally gluten-free.*
Stacey- A.K.A Miss Chievious: When my group of girlfriends asked for a gluten-free cake to celebrate a dear friend’s birthday... I thought, let’s get baking in the Goodytwos test kitchen! I reached out to my mom (aka Miss Chief) and said, we need to add some of our vitamin L-O-V-E to a cake - not just any cake but a gluten-free cake. Miss Chief is always up for a challenge, unsure of baking gluten-free cake, asked me to browse the internet to find a recipe. After researching for an hour, I found 4 recipes that piqued my interest, then emailed them to her. We picked a GF recipe that was simple, moist and decadent using quality ingredients.
The “birthday girl” is extremely healthy and fit, so I knew not to load the cake with frosting. I had the idea to make a self-serve cake topping bar, this way you add what you like. Ours included some chopped Goodytwos Traditional and Sweet & Salty Toffee for a sweet/nutty crunch, juicy colorful berries, and freshly whipped cream.
I must say; this cake recipe is AMAZING!!! (whether you have a gluten allergy or not). Keeping the cake naked and adding the topping options... literally was “the icing on the cake!
Donna – A.K.A. (Miss Chief): It’s true, gluten-free baking has been intimidating to me. That, combined with presenting something worthy of a birthday celebration was “no piece of cake”. However, this moist, velvety cake was a triumph – no matter what level of baking skills you may possess, this chocolate lover’s dream is easily within grasp. Serving this cake with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream makes for an utterly irresistible dessert.
Decadent (Gluten-Free!) Chocolate Cake: Ingredients
- 9 ounces bittersweet (or semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped
- 9 ounces unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1&1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free flour (we used brown rice flour)
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional – espresso intensifies chocolate)
- 5 large eggs, beaten with a whisk until well blended
- Powdered sugar for sifting on top
Decadent (Gluten-Free!) Chocolate Cake Directions:
- Set oven to 325°F
- Prepare 9 or 10” spring-form pan by spraying bottom and sides with non-stick spray, then dust with cocoa powder or gluten-free flour. We recommend cocoa powder for this step when serving an unfrosted chocolate cake (no flecks of flour).
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on “low power” level for 1 minute, then stir.Continue same process until chocolate is melted, being careful not to scorch the chocolate.
- Add the sugar, flour and espresso powder to chocolate then eggs and blend well. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes (the batter will thicken).
- Pour into prepared spring-form pan and level off.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes and cool completely. Carefully remove side from spring-form pan. Dust with powdered sugar. (Cake must be completely cool or powdered sugar will melt).
Whipped Cream (makes about 3 cups):
Whipped cream is best when it’s whipped right before serving which can be an inconvenience. TIP: Make it ahead - by adding mascarpone or crème fraiche gives the whipped cream stability and will keep refrigerated in a covered container for up to 4 hours.
- 1-1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons crème fraiche or mascarpone
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar (more depending upon desired level of sweetness)
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or coffee liquor